Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Yesterday I decided to try something new for breakfast: Irish (Steel Cut) Oatmeal!  It's very coarse, slow cooking raw sort of oat, and I'd never had it before so I thought I'd give it a whirl!

The serving size on the back was 1/4 cup, but that seemed small to fuel my 1.5 hrs on the trainer, so I bumped it up to 1/3 cup dry oats.

Note to self: Irish oatmeal expands.  A lot.

I think it must be because it's so raw to start with, and you cook it for 30 minutes, which gives it LOTS of time to absorb water.  As it cooked, I realized that 1/4 cup would have been just dandy.  Lesson learned.

I cooked it for just under the recommended 30 minutes because I always like oats soupy vs. sticky.  I think this left it with great texture.  It was soft but not mushy or sticky, and retained the shape and texture of the original grains.

I topped it with dried cranberries, almonds, and honey.  And, gasp, I think I liked it more than regular oatmeal!  It's a texture thing.  I'll have to go buy my own box, or steal my mom's...


I'm off to load up the car and hit the road.  See you in North Carolina!

Kari

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count