Saturday, January 22, 2011
I'm making beef stew for dinner.  I predict it will be delicious.

In the midst of prepping all the spices and such that needed to go into the pot with the beef, I pulled this from the pantry:
If you can't read the bottle, it says "bay leaves".  Aside from the fact that I really don't know what flavor bay leaves impart on a dish, there is a serious design flaw here.

If you have ever cooked with bay leaves before, you know they are leaves.  Hard, chewy, inedible leaves that are meant to impart their critical tastiness on a dish, and then be removed (or left in the pot to be found during dinner by someone who then wins a prize...).  They are big.  Bigger, in fact, than the little shaker holes at the top of this jar. 

Someone didn't think that through.  Hellooooo, people.  Have you ever tried to shake a bay leaf out of little holes in the top of a jar?  No?  I think you should give a whirl.  Just to see what happens! 

And then, consider giving us a jar that doesn't have holes in the top.  There are about 2 square centimeters of blue plastic there that could have been saved. 

Environment killers.

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count