Friday, January 14, 2011
Medical school is very different from college.  Most of the things you learn, you learn from powerpoints.  Okay, that may be an exaggeration.  But at least for me, most of my learning did NOT come from sitting down with a textbook and reading chapters.  There were lots of books that I used as reference, looking up different things in different books to supplement the material in powerpoints.  But I didn't read straight through very many books. 

I think in the last four years of test taking, powerpoint studying, question answering, and practical education have made me dumber in the areas of book reading and writing.  And I've definitely lost all of my highlighters.  Sure, I can read journal articles and review books.  But chapters, written in full, grammatically correct sentences?  Nope.  Can't do it.

But I'm going to have to remember.  Quickly.  My next block is called Legal Methods for Medical Professionals.  It's held at the law school, with JD students, and will involve LOTS of reading.  In fact, our first day of class is Tuesday, and we already have a lot to read.  Huh.  Interesting.  I suppose I should start practicing.

So today, that's my plan.  I'm going to go to Barnes and Noble, get come coffee, find a comfortable place to sit, buy myself a brand spankin' new highlighter, and read. 

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Kari

PS.  Click here to check out the great blog that I stole the picture from... You'll love it!

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count