Thursday, December 30, 2010
I do not like exercising inside.  I don't HATE it, but I would never choose it over doing something outside.  I can pretty much run outside in any weather.  As long as it's no pitch black (I've been known to find potholes... not good for the ole' ankle), and there isn't a lot of ice or snow on the road, I'm game.  I'm pretty much okay in any temperature.  I'm not as adventurous on my bike, mostly because if I hurt my bike, I can't afford to replace it!  I have insurance on myself... not my bike.

I'm getting off track.  So when I have to be inside, I pretty much refuse to run on a treadmill.  It makes me want to stab my eyes out.  But I don't mind sticking my bike on my trainer and spinning for an hour.

I snagged the CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer a couple years ago, and have put on some good miles over the winter.  When I got it, I was looking for something that was stable, smooth, quiet, durable, and portable.  I did a decent amount of research, talked to some teammates, and decided to go with the CycleOps Fluid 2.  It was a bit pricey, but worth it in the end I think.  I ended up getting the package (seen below), which included a couple front wheel props, a mat for the floor, "bike thong" to catch dripping sweat and store the TV remote, and a rear wheel mounted bike computer with cadence sensor. 
The one thing I dislike about trainers in general (not any in particular) is that they are pretty rough on tires.  I have a set of tiresspecifically for the trainer, but haven't yet set up a wheel with one specifically to stick on my trainer.  I've pretty much burned through the tires I've got on now, and will need to replace them before I ride much on the road. 

Other than that, I have really liked the CycleOps Fluid 2.  I don't have anything to compare it to, but its easy to get my bike in and out of, is stable, not too loud (I tested it out when I first got it to make sure it wasn't disturbing to anyone outside my room), and so far has not had any problems, expect the one time I pinched my finger in it.  Although I'm pretty sure that's user error...

One word of advice the first time you pop your bike onto a trainer.  First off, I know this because of a friend, not from first hand experience!  But if you put the trainer on carpet (as seen above), instead of a hard surface, be sure that there is enough clearance so that when you sit, your tire is off the carpet.  Otherwise, 1), you will get a really high resistance workout, 2) you will burn up your tire, and 3) you will wear a hole in your carpet.

Other that than one warning, you just pop it out of the box, put it on the floor, and spin away!

Keep spinning!
Kari

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count