Monday, September 5, 2011
I'm on my way home from a wonderful weekend in NC.  Betsy got married!  The weekend could not have been better... well, almost, but I'll get to that later.  First, I'll spoil the surprise and say that the wedding was a success.  Betsy and Devin are officially Dr. and Dr. Odom. 
But first, lets rewind to the beginning.  I woke up at 4:00 Thursday morning to catch a 5:45am flight to Greensboro.  I always think that's such a great idea when I book the flight, then regret it about 11:00 the night before when I'm still cleaning a bathroom to avoid packing because I hate packing.  Then, I regret it more when my alarm goes off at 4:00am.  Then I get to my destination before most people have finished their second cup of coffee, and I don't regret it anymore :)

So anyway, Thursday I got into GSO about 8:45 and picked up my rental car, which got upgraded to a full size sedan, my very of shiny black Mercury Grand Marquise with a bench seat in the front.  Glorious.  I headed to Winston to run some errands and visit some people.  My day included iced tea and a pedicure, visiting some friends at Wake's family medicine building, having coffee with a friend at Wake's campus, having lunch with someone from the sports medicine program, going for a run, having dinner (and ice cream) with a friend, getting dark chocolate almond spread from whole foods (which may or may not count as a liquid when I try to get it through airport security...) and spending some time trying to get last minute alterations on my dress... whoops.

Friday I had more running around to do before the final fitting of my dress and heading to the rehearsal dinner. 

Saturday morning we had plans to have our hair done at a salon in High Point before pictures and the ceremony at the church.  My hair took a while because I had to get it all flat ironed, and by the time I was finished, everyone had already headed back towards the church... which would have been fine since I had my car.  But my keys and phone accidentally got put into Betsy's mom's purse and they left.  So I had no way to leave, or get my stuff, and no way to call anyone.  Luckily the salon had Betsy's phone number, and we called her and had someone ring them back to me.  They had to drive the whole way back to Lexington to pass them off, and come back.  So I sat in the salon drinking coffee, eating crackers, and reading about new cruise ships.  If you're considering a cruise vacation in the near future, let me know.  I'm now a wealth of knowledge. 

I DID make it to the church on time, however, and we even had time to do pictures before the ceremony.  The ceremony itself was wonderful.  Very classic and simple, and most importantly successful.  No one ran away from the alter.  Phew. 

We headed back to High Point for the reception at an old Inn, which was perfect.  Betsy and Devin were SO happy!  (see above picture for proof). 

The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out with her family (I've been adopted) and relaxing.... and eating.  Lots and lots of leftover bbq and cake. 

It was nice to be back in NC and see my friends and family who are still here.  This was the last planned thing I have going on here, so I don't really have a reason to come back at any particular point... which is very strange.  I know I WILL come back because I have lots of friends and pseudofamily here.  But to not have a trip planned to be back here is very odd! 

This was a wonderful weekend, and I'm sad to see it end.  But I'm so excited for Betsy and Devin, and I'm glad I could be a part of the festivities!

Congratulations you two! 

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count