Saturday, August 20, 2011
I have a confession to make.  I've been an exercise slacker.  Back in February I was really getting back into decent shape post-ankle surgery.  I could easily head out on a long ride or trail run a few times in a weekend and feel great!  Then at the end of February (while trail running) I jacked up my ankle again, and was grounded for another two months.  Since then, I've never really gotten back in the groove.  Between being frustrated with my lack of fitness, and being uber busy house hunting, graduating, moving, going to Italy, moving again, and starting residency, I've been sporadic at best in the exercise department. 

I KNOW that once I get back into a groove, I'll stay there.  But it's hard to do that when you work at least 6 days a week and don't get home until after 7.  So I decided to give myself a little motivation... I'm signing up and training for a half marathon in November.  It won't be the first I've done, but it will certainly take a little more discipline to train for this one.  But I need some motivation!!!

The other thing I've been super-slacking about it riding my bike.  I don't know the roads, and don't have a lot of time to go out for any amount of time.  And I'm really good at making excuses.  So another goal is to get out on the road. 

Today I was going to do one of those two things, but last time I tried to run during duty hours (between 7a and 7p, when I am responsible for my patients, whether or not I'm in the hospital) I got paged when I was a mile away from home and had to bolt back to call back, then head back to the hospital to see someone.  I didn't want to play that game today.  So I decided to hop on the trainer in the basement and take in a movie while riding.  Not only did I get my spin on, but I watched Vertical Limit and decided I want to go to Nepal for a month, traverse mountains, and take care of sick people.

I think I can pull it off...

Anyway, I'm trying to get back on the horse... errr, bike... and get back into shape.

So far, so good!

Peace out,
Kari

0 comments:

About Me

I am a Family Medicine intern at a community hospital in Indiana, navigating the new world of being a physician. I am privileged to work in a field I love, where every day is a new and unpredictable challenge.
I am not only a doctor, but also a cyclist, runner, DIYer in the making, lover of the outdoors, traveler, and human.
Human, MD is a glimpse into the world of a young doctor who is just trying to stay true to herself through the grueling whirlwind of residency.

Followers

Visitor Count